Parish Church St. Peter and Paul

As a prototype the Oberammergau Parish Church had a wooden building, at the beginning of the 18th Century however it was so damaged that it had to be rebuilt. Joseph Schmuzer led the construction of the rococo jewel, his son Franz Xaver was the plasterer. The ceiling and wall frescoes were made by the great Matthew Guenther, born in 1705 on an isolated farm on the north side slope of Hohenpeissenberg.

Description

The building is an eastbounded church hall with a narrow, nearly square choir and large, upstairs and polygonal tower as the western end. Inside the wall corners are rounded to quarter circles. At the opening to the choir, these quadrants set up on a concave arch. The choir is a circular, the eastern part of the nave - arched over with a flat oval dome - the center of the entire building. Here the hall two side chapels are added on both sides as short transept arms giving the space in conjunction with the aspects of a central dome construction.

The central image of the high altar (Matthew Guenther) shows the Virgin Mary as a heavenly helper of those who ask for intercession and offering help. During the Easter period and during the Passion Play it will be replaced with a figure of the risen Christ. From the rich decoration and figural decoration of the altar structure (Franz Xaver Schmädl) the statues of the Apostles Peter and Paul, as well as on the outside St. Joseph and Joachim are remarkable with their attributes. Above the tabernacle sits the Lamb of God on the book with seven seals.

The two side altars in the chancel arch are the theme of redemption through the sacrifice of the Cross of Christ dedicated. The left hand one leads to a rare view of the medical decision of God as the "inner conversation" of the Trinity in mind. Flanking Saint Martin and Saint Gregory the Wonderworker appear. The right altar depicts Christ on the cross - this cross is considered to be the one that took off before the Oberammergau Passion Play in the plague year of 1633 vows - with Mary and John as well as on the outside the "good thief" Dismas and Mary Magdalen.

The altars in the side extensions (also from Schmädl) are dedicated to the Holy Kinship (left; altarpiece by Günther) and St. Anthony of Padua (right, photo by Johann Jakob Zeiller).

Map

Please enter your starting address here

Travel information Deutschen Bahn AG

Geben Sie bitte Ihren gewünschten Abfahrtsort ein. Sie können auch die Straße und Hausnummer mit eingeben, für eine genaue Berechnung der Strecke.